Light but filling, this savoury chickpea salad sandwich is a terrific fresh lunch option.
For a hot lunch option, try this fantastic Grilled Halloumi Burger with Garlic Red Pepper Aioli!
I’ve always found lunch to be a bit tricky. It always feels like there isn’t enough time to make a proper meal, so I end up grabbing something that isn’t always good for me just because it is convenient.
That’s why I love recipes like this. This chickpea salad sandwich is the lunch has been the perfect addition to my lunch routine. It’s filling, but also easy to make and oh so nutritious!
To be a great lunch option, it’s important to keep the number of steps to a minimum. Who wants to make anything elaborate when you only have a few minutes to spare?
Fortunately this recipe takes very little to bring together! Start by adding crushed garlic, lemon juice, and a splash of water to a mixing bowl. Mix them together to combine.
Now drain the chickpeas and pour them into the same bowl along with paprika, cumin, coriander and salt. Using a fork or potato masher, crush the chickpeas. This will also combine all the ingredients together, but you may want to give it a stir to make sure they are properly mixed.
Avoid mashing too thoroughly though! Leaving some of the chickpeas relatively whole adds a pleasant layer of texture in the sandwich.
Recipe tips and notes
- Avoid crushing all the chickpeas. Leaving some whole or half-crushed to provide different textures. While not essential, this allows for a more satisfying eating experience.
- While I chose to top this sandwich with tomatoes, cucumber and microgreens, any number of vegetables will work. Avocado and thinly sliced red pepper are great options!
- For variety, you can also use this crushed chickpea recipe in wraps or over lettuce in a salad.
More lunch recipes
- Puff Pastry Tomato Tart with Goat’s Cheese
- Grilled Vegetable Pizza Bianca
- 15-Minute Tomato and Mascarpone Pasta Sauce
- 400g/14oz chickpeas, drained weight
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- ½ clove garlic, crushed
- ½ -1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon water
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ⅛-1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- cucumber slices (optional)
- tomato slices (optional)
- Microgreens (optional)
- 4 bread slices
- In a mixing bowl, combine tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and water. Mix until thoroughly combine.
- Drain the chickpeas and add to the bowl along with salt, paprika, cumin and coriander. Mash together without crushing all the chickpeas evenly to allow for different textures. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Layer a thick helping of chickpeas onto a slice of bread and top with tomatoes, thinly sliced cucumbers, microgreens, or any other vegetables you choose to use.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 591Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 619mgCarbohydrates: 91gFiber: 18gSugar: 14gProtein: 26g