The perfect combination of a savoury miso glaze with sweet carrots take Miso Roasted Carrots from side dish to highlight!
For another tasty side dish try out our Roasted Tenderstem Broccoli with Lemon Garlic Vinaigrette!
As a parent of two teenagers, I know I need to work extra hard to make vegetables interesting. My challenge is to keep our dinner table full of vegetables that they don’t just choke down, but actually enjoy!
Is this even possible? Absolutely! It takes a bit of creativity and slightly more time than just boiling and adding salt. But no doubt it is worth it in the end.
This recipe for miso roasted carrots is a great example of how vegetables can be so much more than a forgettable side dish. When carrots are roasted with a miso coating, the result is a combination of sweet and savoury that is really exciting!
Miso is one of the best ways to bring savoury flavours for any dish. So much so that it is considered the definition of the flavour ‘umami’!
Many miso glazes use sugar, but I went with maple syrup instead. I find that maple syrup brings much more that just a sweet taste, and makes for a more complex and interesting glaze. Maple works great on its own as a glaze as well, like with these Maple Glazed Carrots.
Mix the miso paste and maple syrup with Gochuhang paste, soy sauce and mirin to make this impressive glaze. The result is a beautiful combination of savoury and sweet, with a hint of saltiness. Once you master this glaze you will be able to use it for a whole range of recipes! Personally, I’m looking forward to trying it with parsnips.
To see how miso paste can be used in a main dish, try out our Miso Noodles with Tenderstem Broccoli!
Recipe tips and tricks
- While I used mixed colour carrots for this recipe, any carrots will do. I find the extra colour makes this a far more interesting looking dish and a more attractive addition to the dinner table.
- Cut the carrots into similar sized pieces before placing in the oven. This allows them to cook at a similar rate.
- The maple syrup can be replaced by sugar. Sugar and maple syrup have a similar level of sweetness so an equal amount of sugar can be used. Stir it into the glaze well to ensure it is fully dissolved.
More side dish recipes
Miso Roasted Carrots
The perfect combination of savoury miso and sweet carrots.
- 2 lbs carrots
- 2 tablespoon brown miso paste
- 1 teaspoon Gochuhang paste
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon mirin
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or veg oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Add miso paste, Gochuhang paste, maple syrup, soy sauce and mirin to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Peel the carrots and cut into equally sized pieces, toss with the glaze and roast at 200C/400F for 50-55 minutes. Add more glaze half way through the roasting.
Any carrots will work for this recipe, but multicoloured carrots will add a touch of drama!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 445mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
Leave a Reply