Creamy burrata is magical when paired with the fresh and zesty flavours of artichokes, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, with lemon basil vinaigrette, in this stunning pasta salad.
Pair with this Grilled Halloumi Burger for the perfect summer meal!
Remember the pasta salads you grew up with? Maybe you remember them fondly, but the ones I recall were almost always a bit disappointing.
It’s not that they were bad, it’s just that they were mediocre. But other pasta dishes can be stunningly good, so why not pasta salad?
It’s time to revisit this classic dish, which I have done here with Pasta Salad with Burrata and Lemon Basil Vinaigrette! There’s nothing bland in this version, with the zesty flavours of sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, artichokes and fresh basil!
It’s crowned by a creamy burrata and dressed with flavourful lemon basis vinaigrette. I can’t think of anything better for your next picnic or barbecue!
Perfect pasta salad
One reason why so many pasta salads go wrong is because people don’t consider how much flavour pasta can absorb. It’s made even harder because cold pasta absorbs less flavour than hot pasta.
Added together, this means that what seems like enough taste to make a good dish just isn’t enough to make it very flavoursome.
My top tip is to always add the dressing when the pasta is hot. If you let it cool down it will just not take in enough.
And then don’t skimp on the other ingredients. I’ve packed this salad full of sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, basil, fresh tomatoes, roasted red pepper and fresh basil. And that’s before the cheese!
A pasta salad needs a lot to be added to be interesting! Fortunately, these are all fantastic ingredients that come packed with flavour. The result is not just delicious, it’s fun!
Lemon basil vinaigrette
A good vinaigrette can make all the difference in all sorts of recipes. I go back to the classics regularly as they can be used in so many ways, and in so many recipes.
This lemon basil vinaigrette is outstanding, and can be used to dress all sorts of salads. And as with all good vinaigrettes, it is very easy to make, especially if you have a jam jar available.
All you need to do is add the minced garlic, thinly sliced basil, lemon juice and oil together with salt to a jar. Close the lid well and give it a good shake.
Give it a taste to make sure you are happy with the taste and add salt if you think it needs it. Pour it over warm pasta and mix it in thoroughly to combine.
Recipe tips and tricks
- Dress the pasta when it is warm. This allows the pasta to absorb more of the flavours and results if far more flavourful pasta salad!
- The oil from sun-dried tomatoes and artichokes is infused with an incredible amount of flavour, and is far too good to waste! Use this oil in the dressing to make it even better.
- ½ lbs pasta
- ¼ cup olives
- 4-5 sun-dried tomatoes
- cherry tomatoes
- 2 roasted red peppers from a jar
- 1 burrata
- 10 g fresh basil
- ½ clove garlic
- zest of ½ lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- Cook the pasta in a pot of salted boiling water according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile make the lemon basil vinaigrette by combining the zest and juice of one lemon, garlic, olive oil, a healthy pinch of salt and chopped basil in a mason jar. Put the lid on and shake until the dressing is emulsified.
- Slice the olives and cherry tomatoes in half or quarter them, slice the marinated red peppers and chop up the artichokes into bite-sized pieces.
- When the pasta is done, drain and dress with the vinaigrette while still hot, cover with plastic wrap to prevent from drying out and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Once the pasta is at room temperature, add the remaining ingredients but the burrata. Mix well to combine and add more salt to taste. Refrigerate for a couple of hours for the flavors to blend. Top with the burrata cheese and sprinkle with more chopped basil before serving.
The pasta will absorb more flavour if dressed while hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 183mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g