This savoury galette with eggplant, red pepper and feta is so easy to make and incredibly delicious. It has ingredients bursting with flavour, including rich eggplant, sweet roasted red peppers and tangy feta. This savoury galette is sure to be the highlight of any meal!
Lunch can become a pretty boring meal if you aren’t careful, which is why I’m always on the lookout for great lunch ideas.This eggplant, red pepper and feta galette is one of my favourites when I want something really bursting with flavour or an easy way to impress guests. It’s deceptively easy to make, but tastes incredible!
But don’t leave savoury galettes to just lunch. They go perfectly as a main course when paired with a side salad, or as a tasty appetizer!
Galette is a basically a free-form tart, so easy to make, especially if you use pre-made crust. While galettes are often made with fruit, they are also perfect with vegetables to make a savoury galette.
The charm of a galette is in how rustic it looks, which means there is no need to worry over making it just perfect! There is no need to use a pie plate as the galette can simply be baked on a cookie sheet.
In a lot of ways, galette is very similar to pizza. The main difference is that we have used shortcrust or pie crust instead of yeasted pizza dough. But they are really very similar, and you can try lots of different toppings on galette just as you would a pizza.
To make things even easier, the eggplant can be roasted the day before and stored overnight in a fridge. It also ensures that the eggplant has fully cooled before being added to the galette.
For this recipe, I prefer to use roasted marinated red peppers. Any good quality brand will pop with lots of sweetness and it saves one more step from the recipe. If you really want to roast your own peppers, grill then on a baking sheet with parchment paper, skin side up. When the skiing of the peppers is blackened and blistered, remove them from heat and close them in a ziplock bag to let them sweat. When they are cool enough to handle without discomfort, take them out of the bags and peel off the blackened skin. The skin should be easy to remove by this point. The peppers are now ready to use!
Brushing the pastry with egg wash is an important step before taking the galette. The egg wash helps the pastry to become golden and crips. It also helps the galette to stick together, so that it keeps the same shape while baking and serving.
There are a few other substitutions you can try as well:
- Try almost any other cheese in place of feta
- Replace kale with spinach
- Use zucchini instead of eggplant
- Use basil pesto instead of sundried tomato pesto
- 2 medium eggplant
- 3 slices roasted red pepper in brine
- 150g vegetarian feta - crumbled
- 2tbsp sundried tomato pesto
- 500g pre-made pie crust (Jus-Rol or your favourite brand)
- 6 leaves of fresh basil or ½ tsp of dried basil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 400F/ 200C and take your prepared pie crust out of the fridge.
- Slice the eggplants ½″ thick, brush the slices with olive oil and arrange them on a parchment paper on a baking sheet. Grill until brown for 12-15 min. until soft all the way through and the eggplant has lost its spongy texture. Remove from the oven and place it on a plate and let it cool off. Slice the peppers.
- Dust your work surface with some flour and roll out your pie crust in a circle 14″/35 cm in diameter. Slide it over on the same parchment paper you baked eggplant on and spread pesto on it leaving about an inch border pesto-free.
- Arrange the eggplant slices overlapping in a circle, then put pepper slices on top in any fashion you like, then spread your torn basil leaves on top and finish with feta cheese.
- Fold the border over the vegetables while brushing the pleats with a beaten egg to seal it. Brush the egg all over the crust which will give the galette a beautiful colour.
- Bake at 400F/200C for 20-30 min until the crust is golden and the cheese is slightly coloured.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 947Total Fat: 55gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 1059mgCarbohydrates: 99gFiber: 12gSugar: 17gProtein: 18g