Roasted cauliflower with buffalo flavouring stands tall as a flavoursome main dish and amazing in a vegan taco!
Indulge your love of vegetables with Miso Roasted Carrots!
It’s been exciting to be alive for the rediscovery of the humble cauliflower. Who knew that this vegetable we all took for granted for so long could be made so exciting, and with such a range of flavours and methods!
I confess that it has taken me some time to come around to the value of cauliflowers. But having tried a few different recipes and cooked cauliflowers in all sorts of ways, I am well and truly a convert.
Because cauliflower absorbs and holds flavours so well while having mild taste of its own, it pairs well with dynamic, spicy flavours. Buffalo spicing is among my favourites and the one I have chosen for this recipe.
I would happily eat these flavoured cauliflower florets all on their own, but they are even better when served in a taco. The texture and taste are just perfect, especially when paired with fresh, flavourful toppings to match the buffalo glaze.
How to make buffalo cauliflower tacos
At first I was hesitant to cook buffalo cauliflower tacos because I thought that they would be pretty fussy to make. Happily, they came together with a minimum of effort!
Start by making the batter. Combine flour, oat milk, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, coriander and paprika in a large bowl, then add the cauliflower florets and toss to thoroughly coat them. The batter mix will combine to resemble something similar to pancake batter.
Now spread the cauliflower florets on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes. While they are cooking away, combine the buffalo sauce, oil, and maple syrup to make the glaze.
When the time is up, take the cauliflower out and brush with the glaze. Make sure to turn them over to get all sides of each floret.
Put them back in the oven for 15 minutes or until they are slightly crispy. Serve with tacos and the toppings of your choice!
Toppings for vegan tacos
For toppings, we need to find something that will match up well to the smoky, rich taste of the buffalo sauce. The toppings you choose will always be a personal choice, but here are my favourites:
- Thinly sliced radishes (use a mandolin if you have one!)
- Sliced chili peppers
- Shredded lettuce
- Limes slices for squeezing
- Vegan yoghurt for drizzling
- Salsa fresca
- A fresh slaw or the cilantro lime slaw included in our black bean taco recipe!
For my money, I think that avocado is a must have. The creamy avocado taste is the perfect match for the hint of spice in the buffalo cauliflower!
- When trimming the cauliflower, make sure that the florets are similar in size. This takes more time, but ensures they cook at a similar pace.
- When adding the glaze, make sure to turn them to glaze all sides of the cauliflower florets.
- For a vegetarian version, honey can be substituted for maple syrup, kefir or milk for oat milk, and butter for oil. Proportions remain the same.
More vegan dinner recipes
- 100g / 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 500g/ 18oz cauliflower florets (no core)
- Corn tortillas
- Avocado and other toppings
- 190ml / 3/4 cup oat milk
For the glaze
- 1/4 cup Frank's buffalo wings sauce or any other hot sauce
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 220C/450F
- In a large bowl combine the flour, oat milk, salt, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, coriander and smoked paprika. Add the cauliflower broken into florets to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Spread the cauliflower on parchment lined baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the glaze by mixing the hot sauce, oil and maple syrup. Once the cauliflower is done cooking, take out of the oven and brush the glaze all over, put back in the oven for 15 minutes until crispy.
- Fill tacos with the cauliflower bites, avocado, slaw, etc.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 705mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 5gSugar: 12gProtein: 6g